This article talks about getting a job in USA. For other countries, click here
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you want to work as a contractor or as a permanent employee?
- Do you have necessary work authorization?
- How much do you expect as salary?
- Which module are you best at? (For example, if you want to work as a SAP HR Functional consultant, you need to be strong at any one of the sub-modules)
(updated as on Jan 26th 2009)
The job market at this time is very tough. There are so many SAP functional consultants who are looking for a job. Most of those who apply are not even called for an interview. In these conditions, there are a few things that consultants need to keep in mind while applying for jobs.
- Keep the resume to the point, never state items which you cannot stand by
- Keywords scanning is normally used to reject out resumes, so make sure you include all relevant keywords
- When sending out a resume for a specific job, modify the resume based on the specific requirement
- Dont make the resume too technical – the recruiters are not going to check the table names, schema names, etc. They would just check if there are certain keywords.
- Dont apply for the same job from different consultants – you will be rejected.
- Follow up on your applications – dont hesitate to send e-mails or call up the recruiters to know what is your status
- Prepare for the interviews before you can start applying for jobs.
Preparation for interview:
- As there are a number of fake resumes around in place, the stress on activities that take place during an implementation phase or blueprinting phase are very common
- Interviews can be upto one hour in some companies like IBM – so do prepare yourself to stay on for that long
- For phone interviews have your notes handy so that you can quickly refer to them in case you forget some infotype names, table names, transaction codes, etc.